header image

Mission & Vision

The mission of the Tahoe Food Hub is to galvanize our community to build a regional, sustainable and equitable food system.

It is our belief that all communities need a food hub. If every community was focused on food security and took responsibility for how their food was sourced, we will have fed the world one community at a time. Not every community can grow their own food but they can establish food policy which advocates for how it is produced and distributed. The further you are from your food source, the more a food hub reduces your food insecurity.

To feed the world one community at a time, we need more small farms. Smaller farms are how we can change our food system. Industrial food production uses 70% of the world’s agricultural resources but only produces 30% of the food. Smaller farms are producing the other 70% of the food but with only 30% of the world’s agricultural resources. Smaller farms are not only more efficient but can manage their crops more sustainably.

Less than 1% of the population is still farming. But farming as a career is making a comeback as more young people pursue this green job market. Food hubs can support these small farms, facilitate their growth and provide a regional marketplace to sell their products. Food Hubs are the connection point for communities to access local food. They represent these producers to get them a fair price in wholesale markets. This is the critical difference between a food hub and a traditional food distributor. When it comes to price, a traditional food distributor is focused on getting their customer the lowest price. Whereas a food hub is equally concerned about getting their farmer a fair price while keeping it competitive for their customers.

Food Hubs are more than just buying and selling food! They are bringing equity back into the food system so it is fair from farm to market to consumer.

Tahoe is in a unique location. It is not an agricultural area but it is surrounded by year-round food production. Tahoe Food Hub will take advantage of this close proximity. We will aggregate food produced within 100-150 miles from our more food abundant neighbors and distribute it regionally throughout North Lake Tahoe. It keeps Tahoe fed, increases access to sustainably grown food, builds community and creates inter-commerce between regional partners. Money that circulates regionally supports local economies which encourages new business and creates jobs. By taking a regional approach, communities can work together to address their food security and build a more equitable supply chain.

With nearly 280-days of sunlight, Tahoe doesn’t need to be a food desert. We can work within our climate constraints and harness the sun’s energy by employing 4-season growing techniques. Our Sierra Agroecology Center is a small, educational farm on the outskirts of Truckee. It has a 850sqft. geodesic greenhouse called a Growing Dome, cold frame garden boxes, chickens, bees and composting. It is surrounded by a thriving alpine ecosystem. At the center, we experiment with year-round farming practices and educate our community about agriculture in an alpine ecosystem. We donate 50% of the food to Project Mana, North Lake Tahoe’s hunger relief agency.